Great Honey Recipes To Try
Did you know that honey is the only natural food that never spoils? Sealed honey can last for thousands of years and the delicious natural sweetener is ideal to use in cooking! As the weather begins to warm up, we have posted two fresh, summer recipes below, both starring honey as a key ingredient.
To prep: 8:26 / To cook: 0:20 / 5 Ingredients
- 600ml thickened cream
- 1/3 cup honey
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Combine cream and honey in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until mixture simmers. Remove from heat.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat egg yolks, sugar and vanilla in a bowl for 5 to 6 minutes or until thick and creamy. Gradually beat in cream mixture until combined. Strain mixture into a clean saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 10 to 15 minutes or until mixture coats the back of a spoon. Pour into a shallow rectangle cake pan. Cover. Freeze for 3 hours or until just firm.
3. Transfer to bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat until smooth. Pour into a 5 cup-capacity loaf pan. Cover. Freeze for 6 hours or until firm. Serve.
BARBECUED HONEY PRAWNS WITH PINEAPPLE SALAD
To prep: 0:20 / To cook: 0:10 / 10 Ingredients / Serves 4
- 750g medium green prawns
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 250g pineapple, peeled, cored, finely diced
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, quartered, finely diced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced, 1/3 cup fresh coriander leaves
1. Peel and devein prawns, leaving tails intact. Using a small sharp knife, cut a slit along the back of each prawn, being careful not to cut all the way through. Place prawns in a glass or ceramic bowl. Add garlic, ginger and 1 tablespoon honey. Toss well to coat. Stand for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, place remaining honey and 2 tablespoons cold water in a small pan over medium heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 2 minutes.
3. Heat a barbecue or hot plate over medium-high heat. Drizzle with oil. Cook prawns for 2 minutes each side or until charred and prawns are cooked through. Transfer to bowl. Add sesame seeds and warm honey sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
4. Combine pineapple, cucumber, green onion and coriander in a bowl. Serve prawns topped with pineapple salad.